If you have yet to file your personal tax return, you probably have a rising sense of panic as you now have less than 3 weeks to get it in!
There is an automatic £100 fine for your return being late, whether you owe any tax or not, and although you can appeal with the fine with an excuse, you are very unlikely to get it overturned!
I have put together a summary of blogs I have done over the last year to hopefully help you with the most frequently asked questions for a sole trader trying to prepare their accounts and tax return. I hope you may find them useful.
- Who needs to file a tax return?
- How you work out the amount you can claim for working from home
- What you can claim for using your personal mobile phone for work
- The rules around working in coffee shops!
- Payments on account – this was written in the Summer for the July payment on account, but the explanation of payments on account applies to January as well!
I’ll leave my blog about being organised and getting it done early in the year for another time!!
Good luck, and if you decide its all too much and this is the year you are going to do it differently and be organised – you know where I am (next year!)